Friday, October 29, 2010

Poetry Tips: Positive Peer Pressure

You are never too old to experience “peer pressure” if you ask me. As poets, if you feel a friend has talent, you should encourage them to continue writing. If they write for pleasure but ask your advice, gently guide them forward. Poetry is a community and we should make it as positive and encouraging a community as we can. This week, seek out friends who can give you an honest and tactful critique or offer the same to your friends. You just may strengthen your relationship and improve your own poetry as a result.


Thanks for clicking in, please stop in again next week…

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey, I'm a poet too, and I really like your blog. It's so accessible. Go you! Do keep writing, as will I. All the best from Boston.

Poet Hound said...

Dear Jamie,

Thanks for enjoying, I took a glance at your blog and it is fun to peruse, too.
Sincerely,
Paula

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

Yes, poetry is a community, as a matter of fact it is.
In contrast with the way in which poems come to life and why they come to life.
I agree with S. Heaney when he says that one writes a poem first of all for himself. And after all it's a mystery, you have a blank page or emptiness in front and a desire of expression, a longing for something that is a blooming of words trying to reach in beyond words.

Then, once the poem is written and well "cooked" it asks for a community and needs blog like yours.

It's great... people like you who keep looking for poems.

All my best,
Davide

Poet Hound said...

Dear Davide,
Thank you, I hope to share poetry with as many people as possible, especially those who don't believe they'd ever love poetry. Keep writing and I'll keep finding!
Sincerely,
Paula

Luke Armstrong said...

Great advice. Thanks for the encouragement to writers.

Poet Hound said...

Dear Luke,
Always happy to encourage, thank you for letting me gain more insight into your poetry.
Sincerely,
Paula