Friday, December 28, 2007

Poetry Tips: Dialogue

If you’ve been around poetry for a while you surely have seen poems where there are two speakers. Sometimes the poems are imagined conversations, others are real ones altered to fit a poem. They do not have to rhyme, or have a particular rhythm, or shape. You can scatter the conversation so that one speaker is “right adjusted” and the other speaker is “centered” when it comes to their lines. You can do many experiments with this and I challenge you to come up with a dialogue poem. It can be rather difficult at first, I admit I have yet to succeed and have scrapped every attempt, but they are good for getting the creative juices flowing.
Best of luck to your writing, may the muse be with you!

Please stop in tomorrow for Saturday’s Edition Poetry Blog…

3 comments:

Jim Murdoch said...

In my poem 'Making Sense', which is in the shape of a Rorschach inkblot and relates a brief interchange between the psychiatrist and his patient, I use italics for one of the speakers and it works just fine.

Poet Hound said...

Fantastic! I love the idea of the Rorschach inkblot, is your poem available on-line by any chance? I'd love to provide a link as an example.

Jim Murdoch said...

It's not on-line yet but I've made a copy available here.