Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Misti Rainwater-Lites' Amethyst Miraculous

Misti Rainwater-Lites’ collection, Amethyst Miraculous, is bawdy, brash, and brassy. Published by Alternating Current's Propaganda Press, it’s like sneaking into a dirty movie when you’re 13 and knowing your parents will kill you if they find out. It’s a collection that may make some people blush and I’ve plucked out the tamer poems so as to avoid a necessary “parental discretion is advised” warning:


Tarot Spread Reveals
the tainted tuna will kill you

while you sleep
dreaming of horny mermaids

the empty pocket blues
will lead you to Thailand
and food you cannot pronounce

your uncle is thinking
of hitting you up for a loan

your grandma is thinking
of stealing your motorcycle

your mama is thinking of
running off to Vancouver

your boyfriend is thinking
of another chick’s ass

your dolphin won’t stay
in your pool forever

a hot bubble bath
can only help
your situation


Really, I just love the little bits about the family members and boyfriend because I find them hilarious. I would love a tarot reading like this, I might actually attempt one if I can get readings such as the ones above. Also, what woman wouldn’t want to soak in a hot bubble bath after all those readings?



Fortune Fish Flopping

I read his ex-girlfriend’s blog for company,
some kind of pathetic commiseration.
I only met the chick once.
I’m better looking but she’s better
at functioning in Big Girl World.
And her hair is obedient.
That’s always a killer.

I look for signs in the Western Sky.
All I see are birds flying into candy melt sun.
The clouds give no clues. They mock me
for being stuck in cow pasture
with Pink on the radio.
I don’t care for Pink.

The red fortune fish flops
in my palm.
This means he is thinking about me
but isn’t going to do anything about it.
Meanwhile the pizza rolls are burning
and the cockroaches
need killing.

I like this poem because it’s like viewing a stream-of-consciousness web of thought. As the poet describes “his ex-girlfriend” we find out at the bottom that she has forgotten the pizza rolls and that there is an infestation of cockroaches jolting her back to reality. It’s like any daily moment we are staring off into space thinking and then the external world comes rushing in.


To purchase a copy of Amethyst Miraculous by Misti Rainwater-Lites for yourself, visit the Propaganda Press link below, where for $5.00 (not including shipping and handling) you can have a copy for yourself:
http://alt-current.com/pp/pp_item.html#amethyst_miraculous


Thanks always for reading, please click in tomorrow for more Poems Found by Poet Hound…

2 comments:

Jarvis said...

This poem is CRAZY! But I love it.

Poet Hound said...

Jarvis,
THen you definitely need to grab yourself a copy, this is one of the tamer ones.

Sincerely,
Paula