Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Poetry's September Issue

This issue has a wonderful gift for all poetry readers: A section devoted to Philip Larkin—not his poems—but his drawings. My absolute favorite is one he titled “Tea Time” that he had made for his mother. I am often jealous of poets who can paint, but I am also jealous of poets who can draw. Larkin is no exception. While some of the depictions are more like doodles, the one mentioned above is well done and full of detail, right down to the shadows of a toast on a toasting stick. I hope you get a chance to take a look at it because it is so endearing. You can sample one of his drawings at the following link:
http://www.poetrymagazine.org/magazine/0908/comment_182121.html

Interestingly, every single poem I “ear-marked” is available on the poetrymagazine.org. The first one, "Ten Moons" by Sasha Dugdale is a beautiful poem dedicated to night-time as opposed to garish day-time sun.

The second is "Rest Before You Sleep" by Dionisio D. Martinez which grabbed the attention of a non-poetry reader in my household. What strikes me about this poem besides the smoothness of the language and the romanticism of weary feet is the way the lines are broken up in each stanza yet they don’t deter from the rhythm of the poem. The spaces seem to take the place of regular punctuation. Instead of periods, commas or semi-colons you encounter the spaces which provide just the right amount of pause for each point. It may not be a new idea but it is done so well that it seems novel anyway. The poem itself is easy enough to understand, so I thought I would share my thoughts on its structure this time around.

Finally, the third poem I ear-marked is "Dressing Down, 1962" by Lesley Wheeler. Really, the attitude is what I enjoy most in the poem. Ms. Wheeler sounds tired and irritable on an international flight, perhaps with a head-ache, and it is endlessly entertaining as a result. The poem leaves you wondering why she left England to come to America, the clues few in all of three lines:“I would do what I said and leave/England. I would ride that El Al jet, mystery/novel in hand and never grieve.” Regardless of her reasons, her first impression of Americans is humorous and will hopefully leave you grinning as it did for me.

Thanks always for reading, please drop in tomorrow for more found poems…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments!

So my poem "grabbed the attention of a non-poetry reader," eh? Well, it's always good to hear these words are leaving our tiny literary circles and reaching the real world.

On the magazine's podcast,
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/journal/audioitem.html?id=568
along with wonderful poems by Alan Shapiro and Elizabeth Arnold, they've included my recording of "Rest before your sleep," with an amazing musical setting by Mike Baluja.

Dave King said...

I thought Rest before you sleep a really fine poem. Superb. Many thanks for the steer.

Poet Hound said...

Dionisio,
Thanks for the tips on the podcast, and isn't it wonderful when people outside the literary arena enjoy poetry?

Dave King,
You are very welcome, hope to continue the positive trajectory.

Ashutosh Ghildiyal said...

You've got a nice Blog here. Great stuff, very informative and helpful. Keep up the good work!

Poet Hound said...

Mr. Ghildiyal,
Thanks very much. I just took a look at your blog and really like the way you presented yourself in your introduction. It's a great way to be true to your readers. I will be looking in time to time to see what you're up to.

Ashutosh Ghildiyal said...

Dear Poet Hound,

Thanks for your reply. I just saw your comment. I had just started getting interested in Poetry when I read your blog. It is really quite interesting and helpful. I keep visiting it often.

Best Regards,
Ashutosh