Friday, January 18, 2008

Poetry Tips: Home Towns and Cities

Have you paid homage to your hometown or favorite place lately? Surely you know there are plenty of poems about New York City, but what about where you were born? The place you spent an internship? Or, you could even write a poem about a place you don’t like, and point out all its faults. Either way, it makes for some great poems, particularly if you can play with imagery.
In April of 2007 the Poetry Foundation’s magazine published Valzhyna Mort’s poem “New York” and I just absolutely loved the poem! Especially the line “by the ears of skyscrapers” since it was an image I never would have thought of and was delightful to read. So for inspiration I have included the link to Ms. Mort and her poem so that you may find the inspiration to pay tribute to or write a scathing letter about your place of choice… Let me know how they turn out!

http://poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=98244

Thanks for stopping in, please come by tomorrow for another Saturday Blog Feature…

2 comments:

Talia Reed said...

Now there's an idea. I was born in Menomonee Falls, WI and I don't think I've been there since. Of course, my folks lived just outside of Milewaukee, and I've been there since then...you'v got my brain rolling. Thanks.

Poet Hound said...

Talia,
always happy to get brains rolling! May the muse be with you...